As with other San Gabriel Valley communities, Glendora was established in previously remote agricultural land with the coming of the Santa Fe Railroad in May 1887. However, an additional boost at the end of 1907 occurred with the arrival of the Pacific Electric Line’s Monrovia – Glendora line, which connected directly to Downtown Los Angeles. By the time Glendora was officially be incorporated as a city on November 13, 1911, it already had telephone service, electricity, and natural gas.

Surprisingly early, the Glendora Historical Society was founded in 1947. It currently cares for both the Rubel Castle and Glendora Museum, both of which are north of the Foothill Boulevard alignment of Route 66 in town. Glendora is the first community in Los Angeles County in which Route 66 had multiple alignments, with the original alignment following Amelia Avenue north to Foothill Boulevard before continuing west. The more current alignment maintained a straight path onto current-day “Route 66,” formerly Alosta Avenue.

Perhaps the most-noted building on 66 in Glendora is the Frank Chance Building, also known as the Cub Building. Baseball fans may be familiar with the phrase “Tinkers to Evers to Chance” from early Chicago Cubs days, and this building on what is now the corner of Glendora Avenue and Foothill Boulevard was built for Chance’s “Cub Grocery” and “Cub Pharmacy” stores.

By Scott Piotrowski