In 1874 John Bender and William Bryant Cullen homesteaded 160 acres in the area that is
now Glendora. Then, in 1877 came the families of Philip Shorey, John P. Englehart, Cal
Johnson, J. Charles West and James J. West to settle in this area.
In the year 1885 the Santa Fe Railway Company began building their railroad line from
Pasadena to San Bernardino and by 1887 two rail trains were operating. Streets were laid
out, lots plotted and the name "Glendora" was given by George D. Whitcomb, a
large property owner. The name was derived from his wife's name Leadora and the mountain
glen in back of their home
The first mail was brought from Spadra and later from El Monte where the nearest store
was located at a place known as Four Corners. Some time later a post office was petitioned
for this community. The post office was located in the home of W. B. Cullen.
Castor beans, flax, wheat, potatoes and other vegetables were hauled by team to markets
in Los Angeles and San Bernardino. The trip to Los Angeles was a two day trip by horse.
In the early 1900's Glendora was the center of the citrus industry. Oranges and lemons
packed in boxes labeled "Glendora Home" and "Glendora Heights" were
shipped a11 over the world.
On November 13, 1911, the City of Glendora was incorporated. In 1915 the Glendora Water
Company was purchased by the City. In 1956 the City purchased the Glendora Independent
Water Company and in 1965 the Glendora Irrigating Company was purchased. The City now has
a water storage capacity of twenty-six mi11ion gallons. Supplemental water is available
through a direct connection to the Metropolitan Water District.