Photos by William E. Mutschler
As the starting point of the walking tour, the La Verne Chamber of Commerce provides
public information to Old Town visitors. Free public parking is available in the adjoining
Artist Chris Toovey replicated an actual citrus label in this tribute to the primary
industry of early La Verne: citrus. This mural was a joint project sponsored by the La
Verne Redevelopment Agency and the University of La Verne.
A La Verne Redevelopment Agency assisted project demonstrates the successful
restoration of this building to its original appearance.
With simulated irrigation standpipes, this fountain was designed to symbolize the
Citrus Era of 1890-1970. It is the centerpiece of the La Verne Square, an all community
project sponsored by the La Verne City Beautiful Committee.
Built in 1918 as a women's dormitory for what is today the University of La Verne, this
building is an early example of the Mediterranean Style of architecture. The building
features classical details, plaster walls, and red tile roof. It currently houses the
administration offices of the university.
Designed by the Shaver Partnership to look like tents, this 1973 University building
has become a landmark for the city. Its five peaks are actually Teflon coated fabric.
Built in 1907, this house has been determined eligible for placement on the National
Register of Historic Places by the State Office of Historic Preservation. It stands as an
example of the innovative use of concrete in the early years of the twentieth century
(note the use of concrete cast to look like stone work). The eclectic design of the house
incorporates a Queen Anne style octagonal tower and front porch with the Classic Box style
of the main body.
This 1990 addition to downtown houses the first and only Armenian college in the
Western Hemisphere. Over 97,000 pounds of pink Tufa stone donated by Armenia adorn the
building's facade and interior.
Artists Joy McAllister and Jeff Faust joined Chris Toovey in creating this bulletin
board effect on the south side of the Lemon Growers Assoc. Packing House. The mural, a
scattering of several historical scenes and a sign informing passing motorists that they
are on the edge of downtown, was funded by the Old Town Partnership Program (see picture
on back cover).
THIRD STREET HOMES -
Many houses on this street date back to 1900-1909 and are typical of Lordsburg housing.
The Craftsman bungalows reflect the more avant garde style of residential architecture
characteristic of the city.
This 1923 stucco sanctuary replaced the 1902 wooden church and served the Brethren
until 1970. Its plaster covered walls and tudor arch windows served to house antique
dealers until recently.
Artists Chris Toovey and Jeff Faust replicate a snapshot of Bonita High School girls in
an old jalopy taken at the same comer nearly 70 years ago. The mural was another project
funded by an Old Town Partnership Program grant.
Second only to the Metropolitan
Water District's filtration plant as the tallest tower in La Verne, this 1930
church is the most dominant structure defining the Lordsburg area. Its concrete bell
tower, rising 5 stories above downtown, is impressively cast in a Gothic Moderne style.
This building is a revival of Queen Anne architecture, with all of its features being
drawn from buildings within a 2-mile radius, making it uniquely characteristic of the