POINT OF ROCKS
Originally, Helendale was known as Point of Rocks. This was a "way-station"
on the old Mojave trail which served travelers as a "rest stop". The supply of
water was more plentiful and often on the surface.
There are 2 different opinions as to the location of Point of Rocks. Representatives
from Mojave River Valley Museum favor the more Northern of the 2 locations (Germaine Moon,
Fred Gibson). Local historians from the Helendale area (Mirl and Sarah Orebaugh) tend to
favor the more Southern location for a couple of different reasons. It seems to be the
only point along the River where "rocks" are located. Also several old maps
locate the Point of Rocks at 1 mile north of Helendale Station on the first bend of the
Railroad. Further, old photographs of the Point of Rocks in 1863 seem to match this
The whole issue may be a non-issue. Perhaps this entire area along the River was
generally referred to as Point of Rocks.
This ranch is the oldest existing residence in the Helendale Area.
It is believed to date to the 1920's. What makes this particular ranch significant is
the fact that it survived the flood of 1938! Mirl Orbaugh may be able to furnish
additional information on this ranch.
HELENDALE SCHOOL DISTRICT
The Helendale School District was organized in 1877 as the Mojave School District. We
have been able to identify this location as the site of the original school which probably
served the few children in this area. Some local historians believe this also to be the
location of the Cottonwood Station. This would account for this area as the location of
the school site. Some type of "store" was located at this "station" as
we have information re: a "hold-up" of the Cottonwood Station in 1875 by the
infamous Tuburcio Vasquez Gang.
We also have information re: the location of the several other Helendale School
District sites. Two of the schools were located near the Helendale Station - across the
Railroad Tracks from the Old 66 (Nat'l Trails. Hwy). Across the Highway from these sites
stands the original "Teacherage" which was used to house the various teachers of
the schools over the years. One of the schools was at one time located near Turner Road
between Helendale and Oro Grande. Another was moved to its present location on the West
property - near the river - south of the Orebaugh Ln and Vista Road intersection. The site
currently used as Riverview Middle School was built in 1950 with the Multi-Purpose built
as a Community Building in 1956. Of course, our newest school is located on Peach Tree
Lane in Silver Lakes.